Thursday 18 July 2002

One of the points of this journal is to record for myself what I have listened to. Yesterday evening was Sigiswald Kuijken in the Bach unaccompanieds (Partitas 2 and 3, plus Sonata 3). This is the recent remake. Less acid sound than the 1982 originals, but I haven't been able to do a back-to-back comparison of the playing. Was I a bit disappointed by the fugue in the third sonata? Difficult to say. Anyway, I enjoyed the third partita completely. Kuijken certainly understands that the partitas are based on dance rhythms.
Discovered on the shelf when trying to put the new Kuijken away, the Bach Brandenburgs by Il Giardino Armonico which I thoroughly enjoyed when I bought them a couple of years ago. Must get them out for an airing. They are fast, bright and swing along. A bit like Lara St John's recent disc of the A minor, E major and D minor concertos which I also really enjoyed. Good time for Johann Sebastian.

No comments: