Saturday 14 September 2002

Had a good evening listening to the Furtwängler recording of Bruckner’s fourth symphony with the VPO (1951, Munich radio broadcast). Those were the days! The symphony sounded like a flowing river of molten gold. Orchestras don’t play like this any more. And there are no more conductors of the stature of Furtwängler. Andrew Litton conducting Bruckner’s fourth with the RPO?
Before I left for Kentucky, a frustrating recording experience Batiashvili playing the first Prokofiev violin concerto at the Proms on 11 September. I nearly forgot to make the recording! And when I remembered (just in time) I found that with my new installation of WaveRepair 4.8, the “Input New Wave File” function had been moved from the “File” toolbar to somewhere else. In trying to find it, I lost around 90 seconds of the beginning of the Prokofiev piece. Rage!

No comments: