Wednesday 6 July 2005

Not often that, after 50 years of listening, one discovers a "new" composer. But (thanks to Carlos) I have been very attracted to the two violin and piano sonatas of Leo Weiner. And the two violin concertos are on their way to me, via Kentucky. Weiner writes well, and has some good tunes; a sort of Hungarian Vaughan Williams. Why his chamber works (along with those of Alkan) are not better known defies the imagination. It would make a good duo change from endless Brahms, Ravel and Debussy!
Like the CD of Lise de la Salle, my Weiner CD is one that I am reluctant to shelve in the main collection.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So Harry; it seams that I can surprise you after all. Maybe you dont have works for violin of these guys:
Tadhé Geisler Wyganowski
Alf Hurum
Wilfred Josephs
Khatchaturian
Henryk Melcer
Turina
Romuald Twardowski
Cheers
Carlos