Thursday 20 March 2008

Three Russian violin concertos, courtesy of Daniel in Brussels. Rakov first concerto. Kabalevsky Op 48 concerto. Shebalin Op 21 concerto. None of the three made any real impression on me. The 1995 performances by Andrew Hardy were unremarkable, with an "all-occasions" vibrato; no wonder I had never heard of Mr Hardy before, nor since. Not the musical find of the decade. The Russians during the Soviet regime produced some remarkable violin concerti -- Prokofiev (x2) and Shostakovitch (x1), plus Khachaturian, Myaskovsky and Taktakishvili. But not, alas, the three conceri on this Oympia CD.

7 comments:

oisfetz said...

As nearly always happen with russian concertos, I totally disagree with you,Harry. To me, Rakov first and Kabalevsky are both beautiful, Rakov in particular. I've a marvelous version by DFO (I know you can't stand him). But I accord with you about the violinist. He's second (or third) class. I'd once on LP a recording of Rakov by Igor Oistrakh, that to me,is better that papa's.
Take care

Anonymous said...

How about Boris Arapov VC, Voloshinov VC, Yevlakhov Concerto Poeme Op 39 which Mikhail Vaiman recorded for Melodiya (is now available on www.europadisc.co.uk)? Any comments on these Harry & Oisfetz?

Harry Collier said...

Boris Arapov and Voloshinov are complete strangers to me. So many Russians wrote so many (routine) violin concertos in the 1920s-80s period! I have Vaiman playing the Yevkakhov Concerto Poème, but it doesn't seem to have made much impression on me and I can't remember it at all. Carlos is the man for obscure Russkies!

oisfetz said...

Sorry Lee,but I don't know those guys. Ask Violinconcerto. That fanatic has every v.c.ever recorded!

Anonymous said...

I will compose a Malaysian VC that I will record myself & not extend it to him! Then he won't have every VC ever recorded!

oisfetz said...

Tht's a splendid idea!. Go fot it right now!. All in one long movement, with a great cadenza at the center and finale allegro vivacisimo.

Anonymous said...

Like Vieuxtemps VC 5! But with quintuple stopping with the violin strung G, D, A, E & B!