Sunday 20 April 2008

After a pleasant, relaxed day yesterday, today was black. As usual with black days, the only music that is acceptable is that of ... Handel! Enjoyed Amadigi di Gaula this evening (Marc Minkowski version). The opera contains some really lovely music. The performance is good over all, but some of the singing is a bit squally (Eiddwen Harrhy) and I have never taken to Nathalie Stutzmann's somewhat un-feminine voice. I think I'll also invest in the new recording just out from a mainly Spanish cast. Can't have too many recordings of Amadigi!

4 comments:

oisfetz said...

In Spanish you say "Amadis de Gaula"
But no english speaking person know how to pronunce it.

Harry Collier said...

Handel wrote it nella bella lingua italiana. I don't think Handel ever had much to do with Spaniards apart from one cantata Non se Emendará Jamás.

oisfetz said...

Sorry,Harry, but "Non se emendará jamás" can be antique spanish,from Cervantes' time. Today you should say "No se enmendará jamás". Spanish lessons free of charge,mail to...

Harry Collier said...

Tell it to Handel! It's his work (while in Rome around 1708). I'm happy with French, German, Italian and English. No Russian, Spanish or Mandarin, alas. I would, however, have liked to have learned Russian when I was younger.