Sunday 25 May 2008

On a second hearing, I quite took to the Op 22 string trio by Sergei Taneyev (Borodin Trio, courtesy of Carlos). I shall persevere with this (long) work. There is a new recording by Repin, Pletnev et al, and I might invest in that also, since the Borodin can be a bit over-powering (closely miked, with not too much air around the sound -- sounds as if one is sitting right in the first row of the auditorium, next to the piano).

A work with which I shall definitely not persevere is the second sonata for violin & piano by Furtwängler; even more mediocre than his piano concerto! It sounds as if, in 1890, a violinist and a pianist engaged together in a meandering improvisation for 45 minutes. On the shelf with it! Bruno Walter, Otto Klemperer and Wilhelm Furtwängler were giant conductors, but pygmy composers.

1 comment:

oisfetz said...

I've thought on warning you about
Furt.v.s.,but you wont it,and..
And take care of the few works of Antal Dorati!! He was a great conductor also, and (it's said),a
fine pianist. But as a composer...
Critics said that Igor Markevich did several very good works. I know nothing by him.