Friday 11 July 2008

I am not normally a fan of the Mozart violin concertos. They are youthful works, and I have heard them too often (and played them often). Just too familiar for their own slender good. I made an exception this evening, however, for the 1954 recording by Theo Olof; old-fashioned violin playing (complete with a few tasteful portamenti!) that held my interest.

Which is more than can be said for John Ireland's E flat piano concerto, or Walton's viola concerto (Nabuko Imai). I can just about enjoy Walton's violin concerto from time to time -- in the right hands, and when I'm in the right mood. But the rest of his music always sounds very dated, in the derogatory sense of the word. This weekend I'll have to turn to more solid fare, and Ireland and Walton can go into storage.

2 comments:

oisfetz said...

About Walton v.c., IMHO Heifetz-Goosens is the winner.

Harry Collier said...

I fully concur with Heifetz-Goosens. Much better than Heifetz's later re-make with Walton himself. My other favoured recording is with Akiko Suwanai. Zino Francescatti also gave a fine performance.