Sunday 3 August 2008

Back from my trip to Senigallia (Le Marche). Al Cuoco di Bordo was as good as remembered; the raw seafood -- including langoustines -- is quite amazing. I also have fond memories of I Cappuccini in Arcevia, and of Al Contuccio in Urbino.

Feasted today on squid (butter, garlic, parsley and white wine) plus this evening a big dish of moules marinières enhanced with clams. Excellent. Wines were a cheap Côtes du Rhône, plus a cheap white Rioja (both good, and both from Tesco Online).

Then, in the evening, to what is becoming my musical Bible: Bach's 48 Preludes and Fugues played by Edwin Fischer. When listening to Fischer's playing of this inexhaustible music, one is very conscious of Bach's introductory inscription: "... to execute the same well, but above all, to achieve cantabile style in playing ... " Bach would have approved of Edwin Fischer. I have a feeling that these three CDs of the "48" will never be shelved and filed away by me.

3 comments:

RabinFan said...

Harry - which mastering is "best"? EMI or Naxos? Thanks - Lee

Also - what are your other 8 of your top 10 all-time CDs?

oisfetz said...

Harry, you'r lucky for not being allergic. If I eat all those seafoods
you mentioned, I wold be interned on an Hospital.
And about the 48s, I much prefer Gulda's

Harry Collier said...

Lee,

I don't know the Naxos transfer of Fischer's "48". But I am quite happy with the EMI GROC version. As for the best 10 CDs: quite a challenge. I'll meditate a little, then post the league table.

And as for Gulda (Gulda?) in preference to Fischer .. I'll stick with oysters, clams, mussels and Fischer!