Wednesday 18 March 2009

I became very familiar indeed with Beethoven's Diabelli Variations Op 120 when I bought an LP of the work played by Wilhelm Backhaus back in the 1950s. In those days of few recordings, the LP was played over and over and over again. I still like Backhaus playing it; he has a no-nonsense approach to playing that reminds me of Beethoven (not that I ever heard Beethoven play).

Since those Backhaus days I have tried numerous other performances including, a few weeks ago, the new recording by Stephen Kovacevich much admired by the critics. Somehow, after listening to that admirable new recording, I concluded the Diabelli had had their day with me. Just too familiar. Then this evening I listened to Sviatolav Richter in a 1988 public performance in Russia; and fell in love with the work all over again. What an incredible encyclopaedia of musical wisdom! Richter's playing is pure fascination. Once again, his concentration on the work takes the listener beyond all thoughts of striving for effect, or beautiful pianism. A recording for the top 50 of of all recordings, or whatever. That particular CD is rounded off with a truly classic performance of Mozart's K 379 sonata for piano and violin where Richter is joined by Oleg Kagan, one of his preferred partners.

No comments: