Sunday 26 July 2009

Taste is a complicated matter, as are opinions. I spend a lot of time denouncing "beautiful" violin sound. Then I listen to Christian Ferras playing Guillaume Lekeu's truly wonderful sonata for violin and piano ... and I wallow in Ferras's beautiful (and musical) playing. Next thing I know I'll be praising the music of Karl-Heinz Stockhausen. I must embark on a re-listening of Ferras, a violinist who has faded from popular view (except in France) but a violinist who, until he went downhill, could be numbered amongst the most significant and most enjoyable of the last century. Difficult to think of a bad Ferras recording (though I seem to remember not liking his recording of Chausson's Poème, a work in which I would have expected him to excel, but I think he only recorded it just once, in 1953, early in his career, and with a Belgian orchestra).

2 comments:

Lee said...

Perhaps I think my best Ferras CD is the Brahms Double with Tortelier in my limited collection of his playing.

carlos said...

My favorite Ferras is the beautiful (and unknown) Federico Elizalde's v.c. Don't know any other recording.
Ferra's version is just marvellous.