Tuesday 22 September 2009

Given my love of much late Romantic music, it is strange that it has taken me around 55 years to connect with César Franck's symphony. After 55 years, I only have two recordings of the piece, both acquired "accidentally" as part of compilations. Beecham's 1940 public performance comes in a large, cheap box. And Giulini's 1957 performance comes as part of a two CD Giulini "profile".

At any rate, I have discovered Franck's symphony at last! It is glorious music and, to my mind, much preferable to all the Mahler and Dvorak symphonies that are churned out endlessly, even if the first five minutes sounds like a note-for-note crib from Die Walküre. I cannot recall noticing Franck's symphony on a symphony concert programme (though doubtless it must be played sometimes, somewhere). Giulini's performance sounds good to me, and it's nice to be reminded what a good orchestra the Philharmonia was back in 1957.

4 comments:

oisfetz said...

Well Harry; now that you Know Franck's symphony, is time you know his magnificent string quartet, one of the master pieces of the 19th.century.

Lee said...

You are not alone in just having 2 versions of the Franck. I only have Cantelli & Monteux after so many years of collecting. Not my favourite piece - maybe the last movement is best for me.

oisfetz said...

Well, as you find Franck's symphony,
is time you know his superb string quartet; IMO one of the best of the 19th,century.m

Lee said...

I think his best piece is the Violin Sonata.