Wednesday 23 December 2009

Only once did I purposely buy a recording of Alban Berg's violin concerto, and that was in the early 1980s (Kyung-Wha Chung) when I was curious to hear the work. I listened to it several times, with complete incomprehension, and the LP later ended up in a landfill site somewhere. Since then I have had the misfortune to acquire NINE further recordings of this tuneless, themeless, melody-less, meandering concerto. The latest was yesterday evening, when Arabella Steinbacher had a renewed go at convincing me. I listened and listened ... and still hate the piece. There are so many better violin concertos written in the twentieth century (not least the under-appreciated one by Benjamin Britten). Ms Steinbacher has the Berg concerto as a filler to the Beethoven, which I shall listen to with much more interest, since she is a fine violinist. As for Berg: Bah!

5 comments:

oisfetz said...

Because it's not a "violin" concerto.
It can be defined as anything, but not a violin concerto. It's music for orchestra with a violin obligatto. and a very boring music. I've the first by Krasner-Webern, and I couldn't stand it.

Harry Collier said...

A friend of mine remarked: "The Schönberg violin concerto is even worse!" Both Berg and Schönberg could have taken lessons from their contemporary, Erich Korngold, when it came to writing violin concertos.

oisfetz said...

Or Richard Strauss

Lee said...

I will be playing the Berg in my Carnegie Hall debut - that is only the first 8 notes = GDAE, EADG. Hahaha - the easiest VC on the planet!

Harry Collier said...

I think Berg stole the opening GDAE motif from a time he heard an orchestra tuning up; it just doesn't sound original. The only other recognisable bit is the Bach chorale in the finale ... and that is hardly original, either.