Monday 9 August 2010

Back to Monsieur de Bériot and his highly attractive and tuneful second violin concerto (in B minor, Op 32). Having enjoyed the work played by Philippe Quint, I put on the same work played by Albrecht Breuninger. I must confess, I prefer the German. Quint is a superb violinist, but he doesn't show as much affection for de Bériot's work as does Breuninger. And the German seems more relaxed and at home in the idiom, whereas Quint is more the international power-violinist.

However, it's a good new world where we can find at least two good modern recordings of this likable violin concerto; things would have been difficult back before the CD era.

2 comments:

Lee said...

Now we should be getting VC 6 and 10 from Naxos soon - so that should complete our collection of his VCs. I assume you have Nishizaki's VC 1/8/9 on Naxos.

Harry Collier said...

Yes, I have Nishizaki. I assume the next Naxos will be Quint. Good, but Breuninger is a better violinist in this music, in my opinion.