Sunday 23 January 2011

More Heifetz this evening, with Mark Obert-Thorn's transfers from LP of some of the Los Angeles re-makes from the 1950s -- Lalo, Wieniawski, Chausson, Ravel, Tchaikovsky. The transfers are excellent in terms of Heifetz's sensuous sound (one can readily appreciate why one American critic referred to his playing as "silk underwear music"). Naxos is the usual excellent value.

In my view, no one comes close to Heifetz's playing in any of these works. Having said that, the Heifetz recordings would be my first choice for none of them. Too much Heifetz, not enough orchestra, not enough composer.

Staying with the happy note: the Waitrose supermarket turns out to sell veal chops! My supermarket allegiance has just changed all over again. My two chops made a superb meal on Saturday evening. And I picked up 12 more bottles of Monsieur Guigal's excellent 2006 Côtes du Rhône (Majestic Wine).

No comments: