Monday 17 January 2011

Suffering from a kind of mini-flu, I spent the weekend listening to Schubert, mainly centred on some CDs of Robert Goldsand I had received, plus a re-issue of the famous Wiener Oktett recordings from the early 1950s (Octet, Trout, plus the Mendelssohn Octet). Goldsand turns out to be a good, classical pianist from the Austrian school. I liked his playing, but when I put on Edwin Fischer playing the Schubert Impromptus immediately after Goldsand, I noticed the difference. Fischer just sounded "right" and natural, and less contrived; his tempi also sounded "correct" (whatever that might mean).

And the Wiener Oktett in Schubert (and Mendelssohn) also sounded "right". These classic performances will now be the ones I turn to when I want to hear Schubert (which seems to be more and more often these days; I love the restless tonality and modulation in his music).

5 comments:

Lee said...

I love the song Auf dem Wasser zu singen. Now that one is really lovely. In A flat major & minor. Lovely!

Harry Collier said...

Well, I still have most of my 24 of Schubert Lieder from Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau to get through! I tend to gravitate more easily towards the chamber music and piano music. And I agree about Auf dem Wasser.

Lee said...

Sorry - can't stand his heavenly length of piano sonatas. Better in short pieces & lieder IMHO.

Harry Collier said...

And the 8 Impromptus? And the 6 Moments Musicaux? None lasts longer than around 6 minutes.

Lee said...

I don't like all the impromptus. Sorry!