Tuesday 1 February 2011

Friends have lauded Alexei Michlin and his performance of the first Shostakovich violin concerto (13 June 1963, Queen Elisabeth Competition, Brussels). But I have sat on my CD copy for months. Yet another unknown Russian. However, having listened to it this evening, I have to say I have never heard anyone play the solo part better. No one. An amazing performance. As is the wont with these kinds of recordings, the Belgian orchestra under André Cluytens just thrums away in the background. No matter; this is a disc for admirers of Alexei Michlin. Superb.

10 comments:

Lee said...

Who? And what happened to him - a fade into obscurity after his win?

Harry Collier said...

He just vanished. Never appeared again (in the Western world). No one appears to know why. A friend of mine claims he now lives and teaches in Spain, of all places.

Lee said...

Drinking Spanish wine & sangria and eating paella?

Harry Collier said...

It would be good to know what happened to him. The Brussels performance is really VERY good; quite top class.

Anonymous said...

I think the best violinist on this competition was Semyon Snitkovsky.
He won 2nd price and played Spanish Symphony by E.Lalo (listen on You Tube)

Dima said...

I think the best violinist on this competition was Semyon Snitkovsky.
He won 2nd price and played Spanish Symphony by E.Lalo (listen on You Tube)

Harry Collier said...

I'll dig out my Snitkovsky recordings and have a new listen (Glazunov and Vieuxtemps 4 concertos, plus Paganini bits).

Unknown said...

Harry, another violinist friend just sent me the video of Alexei Michlin receiving the prize in 1963. Is there any way I can get the CD of him playing the Shostakovich concerto, or a copy of yours?
Thank you so much.
Michael Braudy
mbraudy@mindspring.com
www.michaelbraudy.com
718-596-6772

Anonymous said...

He lives in Oviedo, Spain teaches at the Music Conservatory. He is a superb violinist an musician

Anonymous said...

I am a pupil of him. He is teacher in Oviedo, Spain