Sunday 6 March 2011

Latest Pristine Audio offering is THREE performances of the Mendelssohn violin concerto with Heifetz (plus Toscanini, Beecham, or Munch), all on one CD. Heifetz made his public début at the age of seven playing the Mendelssohn concerto; I don't think he liked it very much. All his performances show a lack of warmth and affection and concentrate on rapidissimo virtuoso playing. Breathtaking: yes. But not particularly attractive.

For once, the Pristine Audio transfers disappoint and are not better than most other people's efforts. As the ratings agencies would have it: Pristine is downgraded in my eyes from AAA to AAB.

4 comments:

Lee said...

Oh dear for Pristine. As for Mendelssohn VC, I like Campoli/Boult but your opinion differs from mine.

Lee said...

So Menuhin-Enescu is one of your favourite Mendelssohn VC?

Harry Collier said...

Ever since around 1953 when I had the 78 rpm recordings to listen to on my wind-up gramophone (with steel needles that needed changing after each 78 side).

Lee said...

I will be sending you the latest mastering on that version. As for my favourite, it is Campoli-Boult on Beulah.