Saturday 19 March 2011

“You play Bach your way. And I'll play Bach his way” Wanda Landowska, an arrogant Polish harpsichord player, is alleged to have told someone. What do we know about what Bach wanted? We know with his music he was keen on texture, on structure, on harmony and on rhythm. We know from his frequent borrowings, transpositions and re-writings that the actual sound of his music had a lesser place; an oboe might replace a violin, a bassoon might replace a clarinet, the prelude to the third partita for solo violin would turn up as an organ solo in a cantata. So when it comes to the sonatas and partitas for solo violin: what would Johann Sebastian have expected of the player?

My feeling (unlike Landowska I don't know these things) is that Bach would have expected players to stick to the text, to play all the notes … and to use all the craft, skills and technique in their armoury to make the notes come alive and to arouse interest and admiration. I think that Bach would have been disappointed at many “baroque” performances, and also by the many who play his notes accurately and well but without bringing anything to the party.

I greatly admired Jascha Heifetz's playing on a recent re-listen. I have really enjoyed Lara St. John's two CDs of the six works this evening. Lara brings love, spirit, enthusiasm and an extensive palette of bowing, dynamics and colouring so that the music is constantly alive. Bach, I feel, would be happy. Lara does not worry about how Bach would have played the pieces; she just uses the scores to show what a violin can do. In my personal pantheon of desert island recordings, Heifetz and St. John are now neck-to-neck in the final strait.

5 comments:

Lee said...

So Shumsky has fallen to third place then? I think I will also have to get Lara's version now - following your rave review.

Harry Collier said...

But I still have to listen again to Ibragimova, whom I liked very much indeed the last time I listened. I started yesterday by just listening to St.John in the B minor partita, the most difficult of the six pieces in terms of holding the listeners' attention. St.John dispatches it in 18 minutes and held my attention all the way -- which is why I went on to listen to the other five works. Her playing of the prelude to the E major partita is pure showing off. And why not?

Harry Collier said...

Lara St.John takes 18 minutes and 22 seconds for the B minor partita. And I like it. I have just calculated via Amazon that Julia Fischer (whose set I gave away) takes just under THIRTY-ONE minutes for the same piece! No wonder I didn't like the Fischer performances. 31 minutes, and every repeat!

Lee said...

It is not a matter of time that Lara takes over the fast movements that excite me. Having heard the moto perpetuo tracks (C major last movement and E major first movement), I think Lara garbles up the fast movements. The slow ones are very well played and have great colour & no dawdling - which is great for me.
(My analysis is due to hearing Amazon's snippets only).

Harry Collier said...

Well, I LIKE her fast, fast movements! But also listen to the Chaconne, which is a seam of dazzling colours. For evaluation, you need to listen to a complete piece, however, and not just individual movements.