Tuesday 14 June 2011

I have mixed feelings about the new CD from the highly talented Julia Fischer (with the Monte Carlo orchestra under the late Jakov Kreizberg). At least the repertoire is different and gets away from the eternal Ravel Tzigane or Beethoven Romances. Chausson's Poème is very welcome, as is Vaughan Williams' evergreen Lark Ascending. Respighi's Poema Autunnale is a novelty, and Suk's somewhat long Op 24 Fantasy does not appear often on disc. A collection of rather out-of-the-way pieces, then (apart from the Chausson). Worth the detour? Well, perhaps.

I also have mixed feelings about Julia Fischer's playing. She is a phenomenal violinist, with not a hair out of place, perfect intonation, serious musicality and a style of playing that makes her recognisable. I pigeon-hole her as a 21st century equivalent of someone like Nathan Milstein, Mr Perfectionist himself but never one of my favourite violinists (and I am never sure why).

The death of Jakov Kreizberg was very sad; I remember him conducting the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra in an extremely fine performance of Bruckner's 9th symphony. He was a very talented conductor and will be missed.

No comments: