Wednesday 15 June 2011

Unusually for me, I had an orchestral evening, starting with Valery Gergiev conducting the LSO in Debussy (L'après-midi d'un faune, La Mer, Jeux). Very fine indeed. The LSO plays marvellously well on this occasion, the LSOLive sound is excellent, and Gergiev has the measure of these works. I have never cared much for Jeux; perseverance needed. La Mer I have know since teenage (starting with von Karajan, then Toscanini, then Cantelli). I very much like this performance, the playing and the recording.

Then on to Brahms, of all people, and his third symphony with Colin Davis conducting the Staatskapelle Dresden. I am not normally pro-Brahms, but I enjoyed this with its lovely mellow orchestral sound and good pacing from Colin Davis. My knowledge of this work goes back to a 10 inch LP with Bruno Walter conducting a New York orchestra on Philips (mono). I'll replay the current Davis version with pleasure.

No comments: