Saturday 1 October 2011

“Harry Collier”, said Mephistopheles; “your time has come, and we will descend together to a very warm place where you can re-join many of your friends. I have decided that you may take with you just one copy of just one violin concerto – the violin is my instrument. The concerto will be: that of Piotr Tchaikovsky. Make your one choice, and come with me”.

“Lord Mephistopheles”, I stammer (playing for time – I have seen the film The Seventh Seal over and over again since I was 16 years old in the sixth arrondisement of Paris, but hopefully Mephistopheles has not). “I have 76 versions of that concerto. How can I choose just ONE, in so short a time?”

“ONE!” says Mephisto, raising his pitchfork. So I run off to choose just one, out of 76, the oldest version in the collection being from 1928 (Bronislaw Huberman, excrutiating) , and the most recent from 2010 (Leonidas Kavakos, excellent). How does one choose between seven versions by Vadim Repin, for example?

In the end I stand juggling Julia Fischer (2006) and Mischa Elman (1947, in the Hollywood Bowl). Have to have Elman but, there again, the Fischer account is an excellent modern classic.

Mephistofeles lets me off the hook: “Forget Tchaikovsky”, he says. “Go with Beethoven and choose one of your 80 versions – you have ten seconds left”. Well, that is a lot easier than the Tchaikovsky, and I descend happily with Mephisto clutching Erich Röhn and Wilhelm Furtwängler's 1944 performance. Lucky he didn't pick Sibelius or Brahms.

4 comments:

Lee said...

Tchaikovsky - Kogan Silvestri for me on EMI.

Beethoven - Rohn Furtwangler for me on Pristine.

Mendelssohn - Campoli Boult for me on Beulah.

Easy!

Harry Collier said...

Not sure what Mendelssohn I'd take. There are so many, and many good ones, and it's not my favourite concerto, anyway. I'd probably plump for the 1938 Menuhin, mainly for sentimental reasons (first recording I ever owned, and on 78s!)

Lee said...

So which is the best 1938 Menuhin-Enescu mastering? Dutton?
Naxos?

My choice of Beulah Campoli & Boult
is unique because not many people know of this version.

Harry Collier said...

I am happy with the Naxos transfer of the 1938 Menuhin/ Mendelssohn, and can't remember the others. As for Campoli ... my father (who played with him very often) prejudiced me against Campoli from birth. I have his Mendelssohn with Boult in two different versions. I agree it is VERY sweetly played, but like many portions of sweet desserts, the sweetness goes on far too long. Needs a bit of lemon!