Sunday 18 December 2011

Josef Szigeti, Oscar Shumsky and Josef Suk were all violinists of the first rank who eschewed low-cut dresses, TV shows and all the other “celebrity” razz-matazz. They were simply first class violinists of the old school. Working my way through a six CD box of early (1950s and 60s) recordings by Josef Suk, I find myself in immense admiration of his playing. So far I've heard his early Dvorak, Suk, Janacek and Smetana; and no one, but no one, plays it better.

In another world and time, I am also working my way through Riccardo Chailly and the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra in all nine Beethoven symphonies. Heard five of them so far; four to go. Report in due course.

2 comments:

Lee said...

Bend it like Beckham but
Sing it like Suk!

I'd be very very interested
to hear what you'd like (or
dislike) about Chailly.
Looking out for this review
ASAP.

Lee said...

Sym 1: Same comments as you basically. I dislike the 1st mvt (about 5 min 22 sec to 5 min 44 sec) - where he makes a massive ritardando in the development, just before the recapitulation.