Saturday 21 January 2012

Listened again with enormous enjoyment and admiration to Vasily Petrenko and the Liverpool Philharmonic in Shostakovich's 10th Symphony (Naxos). The work appeals to me more and more. The recording is exceptional. The conducting sounds spot-on. And the orchestral playing confirms my suspicions that a second-tier orchestra playing its heart out is often preferable to a major international orchestra on auto-pilot. I am ordering the same forces playing the 5th and 9th symphonies and expect to enjoy them nearly as much. Shostakovich's symphonies and string quartets have remained unknown territory for me for too long (not too surprising given the fact he wrote fifteen of each).

1 comment:

Lee said...

Wait till you hear Karajan BPO in Moscow in May 1969 performed in front of Shos himself (on Melodiya). I will be giving you this very soon.