Thursday 29 March 2012

Czech Sonatas

An enjoyable evening having dug out a CD sent to me by Carlos many moons ago. Violin and piano sonatas by Vitezslav Novak, Oskar Nedbal and Jozef Foerster; not names you see on many recital programmes nowadays. Expert performers were Josef Suk and Jan Panenka. The Novak sonata is a bit heavy – beetroot, bison and dumplings – but the other two are well worth hearing from time to time in place of the inevitable Beethoven Kreutzer or Ravel Sonata. I frequently deride myself for having so many CDs I almost never listen to; but sometimes it does pay off. And, even though a bit of a late convert to the Josef Suk fan club, I now find he is a violinist to whom I really enjoy listening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

look out for the recent multi CD set "Josef Suk - - early recordings" on Supraphon. It is about sonatas. BTW I think the big czech guys know how to die - - dienstbier (January), Suk (June), Havel (December). All 2011. Saw them all. Unlike Prokofieff, Oistrakh, Rostropovitch. rip