Sunday 18 March 2012

Grumiaux and Suk

Started another weed-out of unwanted, or duplicated, recordings. After digesting all the various versions of X, one is usually left with two or three recordings that will be good for the next ten years, or whatever. I had just finished listening to Joseph Suk playing all the Mozart violin concertos, kindly sent to me by Ronald. Quite frankly, with all the Mozart violin concertos played by Arthur Grumiaux or Joseph Suk, there is no real need for alternative versions.

Whatever the “experts” may say, my ears tell me quite unequivocally that the so-called 6th and 7th concertos are not by Wolfgang Amadeus. They are gifted works in his style, written no doubt during his lifetime. But not by him, say my ears.

5 comments:

RabinFan said...

Is the Suk from the Supraphon series of recordings, Harry?

Harry Collier said...

I would guess so. Prague Chamber Orchestra in the early 1970s. Very "classical", very "right".

RabinFan said...

Yes - that is right. OOP now.

Harry Collier said...

OOP like so many good things. In 10 years or so I'll be OOP !

MUSE said...

Suk was a great artist. His performance of the Dvorak concerto is inspired.