Saturday 14 July 2012

Squid, and Normandy Cheeses


I do not know from whence came my empathy with the squid. Certainly not from my childhood, where my mother tried to make us eat everything on earth, from the sea, and from the sky .. except squid. Today's squid was provided by William's Market in Nailsworth, one of the world's great culinary establishments. The squid were not too small, and not too big; in fact, they were the ideal size. I cooked them with Cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic, olive oil and salt. And they were exceptionally delicious. Well done William, and me.

Followed by superb non-pasteurised Livarot and Pont L'Evèque cheeses (Mark, Cirencester Market) and fresh peaches (The Market Garden, Cirencester). Wine from Vinotopia (Long Newnton); an excellent, powerful red from the Languedoc. I probably now need an afternoon siesta.

No comments: