Saturday 14 February 2015

Rachmaninov's First Piano Sonata

One comes to the works of Sergei Rachmaninov slowly, and usually after repeated hearings. Up until a few months ago, I had never heard the first piano sonata of Rachmaninov, a sprawling work extending over some 35 minutes for its three movements. I came across it first played by the immensely talented Xiayin Wang, then again played by the immensely talented Zlata Chochieva on her début recording CD. Both young women play it superbly and fearlessly and I have now listened to the work some six times and have come to love it – in the end, once Rachmaninov's fragile themes had embedded themselves in my consciousness.

Written in 1907, Rachmaninov himself seems to have subsequently neglected the work. Of the two young women, I prefer the Chinese in this work; Xiayin Wang is a superb Rachmaninov pianist who seems to have a real empathy for the composer. She has better dynamic shading here than the young Russian – viz the very opening of the work – and is better at differentiating the various harmonic and thematic strands. The Russian is slightly faster in all three movements, but the Chinese has a kind of relaxed virtuosity that seems to me to fit this music that must be extremely difficult to play. This is now a work that has firmly entered my (listening) repertoire.


No comments: